Coq au Vin with Potato Cakes
- 1 package Potato Pearls® EXCEL® Original Recipe Mashed Potatoes, prepared
- 2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 lb Bacon, cut into lardons
- 8 lbs Chicken breast, boneless, skin-on
- 2 qts Mushroom, baby bellos, sliced thin
- 2 cups Onions, small diced
- 1/3 cup Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Carrots, small diced
- 2 cups Celery, small diced
- 8 sprigs Thyme, fresh
- 750 ml Burgundy wine
- 1½ qts Chicken demi-glaze
- Olive oil
- Prepare Potato Pearls® EXCEL® Original Recipe Mashed Potatoes according to package directions. Cool to room temperature. Add parmesan and mix well.
- In a large rondo, cook lardons until crispy, remove reserving fat. Sear chicken on both sides in fat, remove from pot.
- With heat on high, add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are golden brown. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and thyme for an additional 5 min., stirring constantly. Add burgundy wine, reduce by 1/3, and add chicken demi-glaze. Bring to a simmer.
- Add seared chicken and bacon back to pot. Cover and simmer for 20-25 min.
- Portion mashed into 2-oz balls and flatten in the palm of your hand. In a non-stick pan, coat bottom with olive oil over high heat and sear each side of mashed until golden brown.
- To serve, place one potato cake on bottom of a plate, lay 1 chicken breast over top and cover with an additional potato cake. Spoon reduced and strained braising liquid on top. Serve.