- Consumers are willing to pay $1.00 – $2.00 more for signature sides.1
- 25% of consumers choose at least one side when they eat away from home, with potato-based sides being favored.2
- 59% of consumers said they prefer to order sides that are familiar over sides that are unfamiliar.3
- 53% of consumers reported comfort food as the best description of food that they typically crave.4
- Potatoes are considered one of the top rated comfort foods among consumers.
- 57% of consumers at full-service restaurants indicated that they would consider ordering mashed potatoes as their side dish at dinner.5
Re-inventing classic potato sides with seasonal twists answers consumer’s cravings while driving incremental sales and increased traffic for your operation.
According to Datassential MenuTrends, which tracks more than one million items on menus at chain and independent restaurants, refried beans and black beans are growing on restaurant menus by double digits.
Their versatility makes them invaluable to your menu, plus they are an important part of a healthy diet. Use them in entrées and sides, or substitute them for more expensive animal proteins. The options are limitless.6
1 Technomic MenuMonitor, 2015
2 Technomic, Side Report, 2013
3 Technomic, Potato Trends, 2014
4 Technomic, Consumer Trend Report Series, 2014
5 Technomic, 2014
6 American Institute for Cancer Research, 2014